Wednesday 20 February 2008

18th February 2008

3 events at Gobsheallach today

This morning, a column of cloud rises from Bein Resipol, from just below the summit into the upper sky. Volcanoes look like this.

At noon, a grey crow flies down to the large sheet of unleavened bread, stale & curling, that I’ve put out front of the byre for her. With claw & beak, she neatly quarters it & flaps away with the whole bread in her beak.

An eagle eats up the miles westward with an easy but fast flight. She is silhouetted for a moment against a pale moon, three days away from full.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We have a "mixed marriage" behind our house - carrion crow and hooded crow. They've been together through at least two summers now.

I'm amazed at how shy they are to come for bread, probably because we live in the middle of farming land. In Africa the pied crows (coloured like your magpies) would come and steal our lunches right from beside you, like the seagulls do here.

I'm constantly surprised and fascinated how bold animals here are shy in Africa... and vice versa.

Gerry Loose said...

an eagle stole my lunch once from my hand; tore my hand a little, too; my fault for eating there.
but, here, the crows are definitely not that shy, I think because folk don't shoot them much any more.