Wednesday 12 March 2008

March 3rd 2008

wearing a summer hat.
walked out into powdery snow.

Shimpei Kusano: Certain Days

Leap Year’s day came & went. The smallest hind of Gobsheallach hill has not been seen for five days; in her place is a small stag, timid & keeping close to the two larger hinds as they move across the bay, exposed, & as they browse on the sparse green among rusting bracken. Has the small hind been shot, or is there some transformation happening here in this corner of a materialistic land where a white stag can be explained by leucism?

I’m content here, heaping language onto landscape, through winter’s mouldering, now watching spring’s shoots; but I’m leaving Ardnamurchan, on a day of blizzards alternating with the blue-blindness of cloud free skies. The dramas of the mountains, companionable Beinn Resipol & Beinn Hianta in Morvern & the doings of the waters: Loch Shiel, Loch Sunart, & Abhainn an Iubhair & the burns & puddles no longer ask my daily attention. Spring is a good time to leave; though here, in this journal I will still be writing, though more slowly, of the walking of last summer, last spring, grounded in memory & experience. The Atlantic wind will blow my nose cold from another quarter. Like any trumpeting swan I’m migrating; like any wild goose, I’ll land again on this bog, unworked since the sixties, near Airigh Bheagaig.

Back in September I wrote of the notion of a weblog (though I call this a journal) being a we blog. Of late, comments have been arriving & have been most welcome. They will be more welcome in weeks to come, as I post new entries, poem-drafts even; back-channel (as I write this, I see the south channel between the mainland & Eilean Shona) or here, publicly. The mountains’ll keep on walking & I in my green knit hat rushing to tongue the snow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gery Loose, Donal has once again been kind to me; sending your work entitled "From Kyoto to Carbeth". You and your partner in crime Takaya Fujii, managed to "minotake" the plants and land to such a breath taking clarity, it inspires me! Four years seems to some perhaps a long time to have worked on one particular body of work - however, the weight/wait disapears when one reads it. If you need a new place to walk someday, know the Rocky Mountains in Canada await. Yours truly, Paulette Dubé

Michelle said...

"...I wrote of the notion of a weblog (though I call this a journal) being a we blog."

I like that. :-)

Gerry Loose said...

Dear Paulette
thanks for your words. Takaya & I certainly are partners in crime. Once I walked around a little bit in the American Rocky foothills in Colorado - I enjoyed the fact that among the oddness of other mountains, there was so much familiar. I also enjoyed the names - like Mt Sanitas . . . I'd enjoy then, all the more your Canadian Rockies - maybe I'll be there one day.
Best
Gerry

Gerry Loose said...

Michelle - keep your comments coming! very welcome - thanks - Gerry